What to Know
- To change the default tone: Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Text Tone > tap selected tone.
- To assign a custom tone to one contact: Select the contact > Edit > Text Tone > desired tone > Done.
This article explains how to select custom tones for text messages on io 12 and up. Steps besides apply to earlier versions of Apple ‘s mobile operate arrangement but might differ slightly .
How to Change the Default Text Message Tone on iPhone
Every iPhone comes pre-loaded with dozens of text message tones. You can set one as your iPhone ‘s default option text spirit. then, every fourth dimension you get a textbook message, the textbook spirit will play. To change the default text timbre on an iPhone, follow these steps :
- On the iPhone home screen, tap the Settings app .
- Tap Sounds & Haptics ( or Sounds on some older versions ) .
- Tap Text Tone .
Swipe to browse the list of text tones ( you can use ringtones as text tones ; they ‘re on this screen, excessively ). Tap a shade to hear it play .
- When you ‘ve found the textbook tone you want to use, tap it so that there ‘s a checkmark next to it. Your choice is mechanically saved and that spirit is set as your default .
How to Assign Custom Text Message Tones to Individuals
Text tones partake a similarity with ringtones : you can assign different tones to each contact in your address koran. This gives you greater personalization and a better way to know who ‘s texting you. To assign a custom text tone to a reach :
Select the contact whose text tone you want to change .
Find the contact in either the Contacts menu in the Phone app or the standalone Contacts address book app ; both are built into the iPhone. From your contact list, browse or search for contacts .
- Tap Edit .
- Tap Text Tone.
Choose a text tone from the list, including the iPhone ringtones and textbook tones installed with io. It besides includes custom text and ringtones you added to the call. Tap a tone to hear it play .
- When you find a text tone you want, tap the note to place a checkmark next to it, then tap Done ( in some versions of io, this clitoris is labeled Save ) .
- In the touch shield, exploit Done to save the change .
Where to Get New Text Tones and Ringtones for iPhone
If you did n’t find a text spirit or ringtone on your iPhone that you like, there are ways to add newly sounds, including paid and detached options :
- Buy ringtones and text tones from iTunes.
- Check out one of the great free iPhone ringtones apps.
- Buy one of the top paid iPhone ringtone apps.
How to Use Custom Vibrations for Text Tones on iPhone
Sounds are n’t the only means to be alerted to a new text message. You can besides create specific shaking patterns to use as customize alerts. The iPhone lets you turn off the ringer, silence tones and alerts, and sets the telephone to vibrate in certain patterns when you get texts from certain people. shaking patterns are powered by haptics .