What to Know
- Add a shortcut to iTunes: In iTunes, choose File > Add to Library. Go to the location of the music. Select the files and choose Open.
- Add files to an iTunes folder: Select Edit (PC) or iTunes (Mac) > Preferences > Advanced > Copy files to iTunes media folder.
This article explains how to add music to iTunes either by copying a shortcut to its placement on the calculator or by physically importing the file into an iTunes-specified booklet .
How to Add Music to iTunes Using Shortcuts
With streaming music and digital music stores therefore popular, you may not download MP3s from the internet very often. But now and then, particularly if you download live concert recordings or listen to lectures, you ‘ll need to grab individual files.
Adding music to iTunes so you can sync it with your io device or listen to your music on your computer takes lone a few clicks .
- Make certain you know the placement of your download audio files. The files may be in your Downloads folder or somewhere on your Desktop .
- open iTunes .
Click the File menu, and then click Add to Library .
- A window pops up that allows you to navigate your computer ‘s hard drive. Navigate to the booklet or placement of the files you want to import .
Select the files or folders you want to add, and then click Open to generate a shortcut in iTunes to the music .
- Check that iTunes added the files by opening the Music option from the drop-down near the top impart corner in iTunes. Choose Songs, and then click the Date Added column to view the most recently added songs .
You can besides drag and drop your MP3 files directly into iTunes. When you add songs, iTunes should mechanically categorize them by appoint, artist, album, etc. If the songs imported without the artist and other information, you can manually change the ID3 tags yourself .
How copy Music Into iTunes Media Folder
normally, when you add music to iTunes, what you see in the course of study are just references to the actual location of the files. For exercise, if you copy an MP3 from your desktop into iTunes, you ‘re not moving the file. alternatively, you ‘re adding a shortcut to its localization on the background .
If you move the original file, iTunes ca n’t find it and wo n’t be able to play it until you manually locate it again. One means to avoid this is to have iTunes copy music files into a give booklet. then, even if the original is moved or deleted, iTunes hush retains a imitate of it .
To do this, follow these steps :
In iTunes, chatter Edit ( on a personal computer ) or iTunes ( on a Mac ), and then click Preferences
On the Advanced tab, check Copy files to iTunes Media Folder when adding to library .
- Click OK to save your changes .
once this option is on, newly imported songs are added to the \iTunes Media\ folder within the drug user ‘s account. The files are organized based on the artist and album name .
For example, if you drag a song called “ favoritesong.mp3 ” into iTunes with this place setting enabled, it will go into a booklet like this : c : \Users\ [ username ] \Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\ [ artist ] \ [ album ] \favoritesong.mp3 .
Converting other Formats to MP3
not all songs you download from the internet will be in the MP3 format ( you ‘re probable to find AAC or FLAC, these days ). If you want to have your files in a different format, the easiest way to convert them is to use the converter built into iTunes itself. You can besides use rid audio converter websites and apps to do the job .
other Ways to Add Music to iTunes
Downloading MP3s is n’t the only way to add music to your library. other options include :
- From CD—To learn how to rip songs, check out how to use iTunes to Copy CDs to Your iPhone or iPod.
- Apple Music—If you subscribe to Apple’s streaming music service, check out how to Use Apple Music on iPhone.
Read more: How to Set a Song As Your Ringtone on iPhone