What To Know
- On Facebook.com: Select the Messenger icon > Options (three dots) > Turn Off Active Status. Choose a visibility level and select Okay.
- In the Facebook iOS/Android app: Go to Menu > Settings & Privacy > Settings > Active Status and toggle off Show when you’re active.
- In the Messenger iOS/Android app: Go to Chats > profile picture > Active Status. Toggle off Active Status, then tap Turn Off to confirm.
This article explains how to appear offline while using Facebook and Facebook Messenger so you can browse without others knowing you ‘re around. Instructions cover Facebook on the desktop deoxyadenosine monophosphate well as the Facebook and Messenger io and Android apps .
How to Appear Offline on Facebook Using a personal computer or Mac
When you ‘re on Facebook or Facebook Messenger, friends may notice that you ‘re on-line and think it ‘s a great time to send you messages. hera ‘s what to do if you prefer more privacy.
Reading: How to Be Invisible on Facebook
Navigate to Facebook.com and select the Messenger picture .
choice Options ( three dots ) .
Select Turn Off Active Status .
Choose Turn off active status for all contacts if you do n’t want to be disturbed by anyone .
Select Turn off active status for all contacts except if you do n’t want to be disturbed by most people, but want to be available to a choice few. You can designate friends who can see your on-line condition .
Choose Turn off active status for only some contacts if there are only a few people to whom you prefer to remain incognito .
- Select Okay when you ‘ve made your choice. Your active condition remains off until you turn it back on .
How to Appear Offline on Facebook Using an io or Android Device
You can manage whether you show as on-line or offline using the Facebook apps for io and Android .
- Tap Menu ( three lines ) in the lower-right corner ( io ) or upper-right corner ( Android ) .
- Scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy .
Tap Settings .
- Scroll down to the Privacy section and tap Active Status .
- Tap the toggle next to Show when you’re active to turn it off.
Tap Turn Off to confirm .
In accession to being invisible to your Facebook friends at times, there are ways to block people from finding you on Facebook.
How to Go Offline on the Facebook Messenger App
Turn off Active Status directly from the Messenger app for io or Android, a well .
- From the Chats tab, select your profile picture .
- Tap Active Status .
Toggle off Active Status, then tap Turn Off to confirm .
After you turn off active Status, you can still send messages and participate in conversations you already had going .