Of run, Facebook is army for the liberation of rwanda from the only site with security system flaws. In fact, any on-line platform that keeps consumer information can be breached. But though the cyber landscape may be teeming with scams, phishing attempts, cyberbullying and even identity larceny, that doesn ’ thymine beggarly you should unplug your devices and go rear to writing letters. It equitable means you need some digital literacy to help you stay safe. And that ’ s why it ’ second authoritative to have strong privacy settings wherever you can, including on Facebook, Instagram, and elsewhere. fortunately, Facebook has enough of privacy tools to help you minimize your on-line bread crumb .
First things first: Set a strong password
Before you make a beeline straightaway to your Facebook mount foliate, we recommend first having a peek at your password.
Your password is your beginning line of digital defense, so it ’ s crucial to have a good one. Facebook recommends at least six characters, a symbol, and a mix of upper and lowercase letters. even longer passwords are more secure, however .
Facebook besides recommends that your password be unrelated to the one you use for your electronic mail, and to avoid including any obvious personal information like your birthday or call number in it .
Suspect your password might not be up to snuff ? Avast Password Generator can help you set a solid one .
Find your Facebook settings page
After creating your modern hack-proof password, you ’ ll need to navigate over to your personal Facebook settings page in order to adjust your account settings . here ’ s how to find the Facebook settings menu :
- From any of your Facebook pages, chatter on the small triangle picture at the lead correct of the screen .
next, find and select Settings from the dropdown menu .
- This will take you to your General Account Settings page. From here, you ’ ll be able to select from the list on the leave the specific security areas you wish to modify, from privacy settings to payment specification .
What are my current settings?
To start, let ’ s review your stream Facebook privacy settings. If you ’ re newly to Facebook or have never played around with personalization, your bill most likely reflects the Facebook default privacy settings. hera ’ s how to view and revise these :
blue-ribbon Privacy from the list on the top-left side of your General Account Settings screen .
- From here, you ’ ll be able to see your existing privacy settings in full, from the posts you publish to the people you talk to. The best part ? Each of these elements can be adjusted according to your personal preferences — just click on the edit button on the right .
- Select Security and Login on the leave to see more details about your stream security settings, including dual-factor authentication, password changes, and notifications about unrecognized logins. We ’ ll walk you through the most authoritative settings belated in this article .
You can besides use the particular sport Facebook Security Checkup to review the most crucial settings. Launch the checkup through this connection .
Click Start Security Checkup. Facebook will take you through a series of screens to help you tax several security factors. It ’ ll aid you uncover and fix any security weaknesses, such as weak passwords .
How to change your Facebook privacy settings
now that you know where to find your settings, let ’ s go through bit-by-bit instructions on how to change Facebook privacy settings. Read on for ten-spot ways to improve your privacy on Facebook .
1. Control who can see your Facebook posts
Customizing who can see your Facebook posts is arguably one of the most important security system measures to take. Though Facebook did change its default timeline post settings from “ public ” to “ friends ” in 2014, users still have the option to change their privacy settings for Facebook posts and photos. here ’ s how to do this :
- Open your General Account Settings page and choose Privacy in the top left .
From there, you ’ ll be able to see who has access to what you post. If your privacy settings have never been changed, alone your stream Facebook friends will be able to see your posts .
- Click Edit to customize your posting privacy settings. This can include :
- Public: Everyone — even people without a Facebook account — has entree to what you post .
- Friends: Your Facebook friends can see your posts .
- Friends Except: Individually eliminate viewers from your list of Facebook Friends .
- Only Me: Your posts will be visible to you and no one else .
- Specific Friends: hand-pick people from your Friends list to see your posts .
Custom: Use this fix to include and exclude both groups and individuals when you share on Facebook .
You can besides control from this screen door who can see your past posts .
2. Hide your personal profile information
now that you ’ ve set up your posting consultation, let ’ s turn to your Overview. Until you ’ ve customized your About column, your Facebook profile privacy settings will automatically be set to public. here ’ s how to select who can see your intro information :
- head to your personal Facebook profile by clicking your name in the top leftover of the Facebook home page .
Under your Intro on the left field side of the screen, click Edit Details .
- Unselect any personal information you do not want publicly visible by toggling the grey bars at the leave of each item .
Hit Save to update your preferences .
You can besides tighten up your privacy settings on the perch of your Facebook profile information. here ’ s how to change your profile privacy settings :
beginning, find the About section to the left of your timeline. then select the category you ’ d like to change .
You can choose your audience for each item by using the small gray privacy icon on the veracious .
One noteworthy exception here is your Facebook bio : that ’ s the snip of text that shows up just below your name, and it’s always public. If you ’ re not comfortable with the stallion internet being able to see this text, best exclude it from this section .
3. Revoke permissions for apps and games
If you ’ re like us, you ’ ve probably indulged in an on-line game or two that posted your scores on Facebook. If you ’ ve never gone spinal column and removed, say, Farmville ’ s access from your Facebook score, the game can even see and share your data — even if you ’ re no longer playing it. here ’ s how to remove permissions for apps and games on Facebook :
- choice Apps and Websites from the number on the left of your General Account Settings screen .
Get rid of any games you ’ re no longer using by checking the small white box at the far right of the listing and then clicking Remove .
You can besides customize how you plowshare your data with the games and apps that you however do use. To do this :
- Click the View and Edit link on the right side of each game you wish to keep .
From here, you can deselect any data you no longer wish to share, including your Facebook friends list and e-mail address, and choose whether or not the app is allowed to send you notifications .
4. Turn off facial recognition
The confront recognition software on Facebook analyzes your photos and videos to create what ’ s called your facial “ template. ” When you turn your facial recognition settings on, Facebook can then compare this template to early images to determine whether you might appear elsewhere. To disable the confront recognition mise en scene :
- choice Face Recognition Settings from the list on the leave of your General Account Settings shield .
Click Edit to review your facial recognition settings. Use the dropdown barricade to make your choice .
5. Hide posts from your timeline
Did an unflattering tag turn up on your timeline ? Fear not ! Though there ’ s no standard “ sharing on Facebook ” privacy set, you can tweak your timeline privacy as you see suit. To hide posts from your Facebook timeline :
- Find the post you ’ d like to eliminate on your timeline, then click on the three-dot icon in the top-right corner of the post .
From the menu, blue-ribbon Hide from timeline.
once you hide a mail, it will no retentive be visible on your timeline. But, keep in mind that if other people have already shared it, it will still be accessible on their timelines, and elsewhere on Facebook .
6. Limit who can send you Facebook friend requests
If you ’ ve always gotten a Facebook friend request from an absolute stranger, you ’ re in good party. here ’ s how to add an component of security to your Facebook friend requests :
- choice Privacy from the top of the list on the forget of your General Account Settings filmdom .
- Hover over the Who Can Send You Friend Requests? option and click Edit .
From the dropdown menu, you can select whether you ’ d like to keep your request pool open to everyone or limit your requests to alone friends of your Facebook friends .
7. Turn off location services
placement Services is a setting Facebook offers for both io and Android mobile devices that allows Facebook to provide users with know location-based information, such as locating nearby Wi-Fi or allowing you to “ check in ” at a restaurant. But, this besides means that Facebook knows precisely where you are a long as Location Services is on .
location Services can be found via the Privacy settings on your fluid device .
Once there, you can choose to enable Location Services Always, merely While Using the Facebook app, or our personal darling, Never.
Facebook ’ s Location History sport, however, is another entity entirely. If you ’ ve enabled Location History for your account, Facebook can compile a log of the precise locations you ’ ve been while using your mobile device. hera ’ s how to turn off Location history :
- choose Location Settings from the number on the entrust of your General Account Settings screen .
From hera, you can select from the dropdown menu whether you ’ d like to turn your mobile device ’ sulfur Location History on or off .
8. Remove your Facebook profile from Google results
If “ incognito ” is the name of your game, Facebook has a handful of utilitarian features to help make your presence a little less obvious. One of these is the ability to remove your Facebook profile from appearing in Google, or other research engines. To do this :
- choose Privacy from peak of the tilt on the left english of your General Account Settings page .
- scroll to the identical last part labeled Do you want search engines outside of Facebook to link to your profile?
Select Edit to review your options and make your selection .
9. Stop being tagged in Facebook posts
If you ’ ve always been tagged in an unflattering photograph, you ’ ll appreciate the ability to control your Facebook tag settings. You can make it so that you need to approve any tags before a photograph or post appears on your timeline. To do this :
Choose Timeline and Tagging from the top of the list on the left english of your General Account Settings screen .
- Scroll down to the stopping point section labeled Review. From here, you can elect to look over both posts and tags that other people have added before they go public on your page .
- Click Edit on the far right of the page to enable this set. now you ’ ve got the might !
Review your settings and finalize your choices .
10. Block certain users
If you ’ re a season sociable media user, you ’ ve about surely come across person you don ’ thyroxine want to be connected with. Knowing how to limit what certain friends see on Facebook is a all-important step in staying safe. You can choose to restrict or block people. here ’ s how to block specific Facebook users :
- choose Blocking from the acme of the list on the left side of your General Account Settings screen .
From here, scroll down to the Block Users section. Use the search bar to find specific Facebook accounts using either a name or an consort electronic mail address .
- once you ’ ve witness who you ’ re looking for, merely hit the blasphemous Block release to disable any and all communication between the two of you on Facebook. If they try to search for you, it ’ ll be like you don ’ t even exist .
Protect your privacy beyond Facebook
While it ’ mho fairly easy to protect your privacy on Facebook if you follow the steps outlined above, Facebook is just one web site. You can well be spied on across the respite of the internet by advertisers, governments, and your Internet Service Provider. And these players can trade or sell your data to one-third parties or even raise prices on items you ’ ve been searching for.
The best room to ensure comprehensive examination privacy is to use a Virtual Private Network. A VPN such as Avast SecureLine VPN encrypts your entire internet connection, making you untraceable on-line and keeping your individual matters private. Whether you ’ re catching up with friends on sociable media, doing some on-line shopping, or checking your bank report or investments online, a VPN delivers essential digital privacy .