25 of the Most Popular Christian Hymns
1. Amazing Grace – John Newton, England (1779)
amazing Grace, how sweetly the sound / That saved a wretch like me / I once was lost but now am found / Was blind, but now, I see.
2. How Great Thou Art – Carl Gustav Boberg, Sweden (1885)
O Lord my God, When I in amazing curiosity / Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made / I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder / Thy world power throughout the universe display .
Holy, holy place, holy ! Lord God Almighty ! / early in the dawn our birdcall shall rise to thee / Holy, holy, holy ! Merciful and mighty / God in three persons, blessed three ! ”
4. It is Well – Horacio Spafford, written in the Atlantic Ocean (1873)
When peace like a river, attendeth my manner / When sorrows like ocean billows roll / Whatever my bunch, Thou hast taught me to know / It is well, it is well, with my soul .
5. Great Is Thy Faithfulness – Thomas Chisholm, Kansas, USA (1923)
Great is Thy fidelity O God my Father / There is no shadow of turning with Thee / Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not / As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be .
6. Praise To the Lord The Almighty – Joachim Neander, Germany (1665)
praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation ! / O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation ! / All ye who hear, nowadays to His temple draw near / Sing immediately in glad worship !
7. Be Thou My Vision – Dallán Forgaill, Ireland (6th Century)
Be Thou my vision, O Lord of my heart / Naught be all else to me, save that Thou artwork / Thou my best think, by day or by night / Waking or sleep, Thy presence my abstemious .
8. All Creatures Of our God and King – St. Francis of Assisi, Italy (1225)
All creatures of our God and King / Lift up your voice and with us sing / Alleluia ! Alleluia ! …Praise, praise the Father, praise the Son / And praise the Spirit, Three in One !
9. All Hail The Power of Jesus Name – Edward Perronet, England (1779)
All hail the power of Jesus ’ name ! / Let angels prostrate descend / Bring forth the royal crown / And crown him Lord of all .
10. Blessed Assurance – Fanny Crosby, New York City, USA (1873)
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine ! / Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine ! / Heir of salvation, purchase of God / Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood .
11. To God Be The Glory – Fanny Crosby, New York City, USA (1872)
To God be the glory, big things He hath done / So loved He the global that He gave us His Son / Who yielded His life our redemption to win / And opened the life-gate that all may go in .
12. When I Survey The Wondrous Cross – Isaac Watts, England (1707)
When I survey the wonderfully cross / On which the prince of glory died / My richest gain I count but passing / And pour contempt on all my pride .
13. Jesus Paid it All – Elvina Hall, Maryland, USA (1865)
I hear the Savior say, “ Thy forte indeed is minor / Child of weakness, watch and beg / Find in Me thine all in all ” / Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe / Sin had left a crimson dirt, He washed it egg white as coke.
14. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God – Martin Luther, Germany (somewhere between 1527 – 1529)
A mighty fortress is our God, a breakwater never failing / Our assistant He, amid the flood of deadly ills prevailing / For still our ancient foe doth seek to work us woe / His craft and exponent are great, and, armed with barbarous hate, On earth is not his equal .
15. How Firm A Foundation – John Rippon, England (1787)
How firm a initiation, ye saints of the Lord / Is laid for your religion in His excellent Word ! / What more can He say than to you He hath said / Who unto the Savior for safety have fled ?
16. Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing – Robert Robison, England (1757)
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing / Tune my heart to sing Thy grace / Streams of clemency, never ceasing / Call for songs of loudest praise .
17. Crown Him With Many Crowns – Matthew Bridges, England (1852)
Crown Him with many crowns, the Lamb upon His throne / Hark ! How the celestial hymn drowns all music but its own / Awake, my soul, and sing of Him who died for thee / And hail Him as thy matchless King through all eternity .
18. At the Cross – Isaac Watts, England (1707)
At the intersect, at the intersect where I first saw the faint / And the charge of my heart rolled away / It was there by religion I received my batch / And now I am glad all the day !
19. What a Friend We Have in Jesus – Joseph M. Scriven (words in 1855) and Charles Converse (music in 1868), Ireland
What a supporter we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear ! / What a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer ! / O what peace we much forfeit, O what gratuitous pain we bear / wholly because we do not carry everything to God in prayer .
20. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus – Helen Lemmel, England (1922)
Turn your eyes upon Jesus / Look fully in His fantastic confront / And the things of earth will grow queerly dim / In the light of His glory and grace .
Contemporary and Modern Hymns
21. In Christ Alone – Keith Getty and Stuart Townend, Northern Ireland/England (2001)
In Christ alone my hope is found / He is my light, my strength, my song / This basis, this solid ground / Firm through the fiercest drought and ramp / What heights of sleep together, what depths of peace / When fears are stilled, when strivings cease / My Comforter, my All in All / here in the love of Christ I stand .
Weak and wounded sinner / Lost and left to die / O, raise your read/write head, for beloved is passing by / Come to Jesus / Come to Jesus / Come to Jesus and alive !
23. 10,000 Reasons – Matt Redman, England (2011)
Bless the Lord, O my person O my person / Worship His holy name / Sing like never before, O my soul / I ’ ll worship Your holy mention .
24. I Will Glory in My Redeemer – Steve and Vicki Cook, Louisville, Kentucky, USA (2000)
I will glory in my Redeemer / Whose invaluable rake has ransomed me/ Mine was the drop the ball that drove the bitter nails / And hung Him on that judgment tree / I will glory in my Redeemer / Who crushed the exponent of sin and death / My entirely Savior before the holy place Judge / The Lamb who is my righteousness .
25. Jesus, Thank You – Pat Sczebel, Louisville, Kentucky, USA (2003)
The mystery of the cross I can not comprehend / The agonies of Calvary / You the arrant Holy One, crushed Your Son / Who drank the acerb cup reserved for me / Your lineage has washed away my sin / Jesus, thank You / The Father ’ s wrath completely satisfied / Jesus, thank You / once Your foe, nowadays seated at Your table / Jesus, thank You.
** Disclaimer : Links to YouTube do not carry any endorsement other than the original sung and lyrics.