Birthday Wishes: What to Write in a Birthday Card
When it comes to signing birthday cards, there are people who have no trouble picking up a playpen and adding a warm, personal message. then there are those of us who sometimes have trouble getting beyond “ Happy Birthday. ” Wherever you fall on that divine guidance spectrum, we have ideas to help you write a more meaningful message in your card .
In this usher, Hallmark writers offer birthday-message tips and inspiring examples. Just chatter on the category that interests you below to go straight to the birthday wishes you need. Or feel release to read the wholly guide and mix and peer until you feel like your birthday message has fair the properly vibration. We hope our tips aid with the next birthday card you sign…and many more !
Inspired ? Create and contribution by tagging @Hallmark .
Happy Birthday Wishes
When the card has already said it all or you fair feel like keeping things short-change and sweet, a few short, sweetness words might be the way to go. here are some ideas for adding a fiddling supernumerary heat and personality to your mighty little message .
- “Happy, Happy Birthday, [Nina]!”
- “I hope you get to do something fun to celebrate!”
- “You deserve everything happy. Wishing you that all year long!”
- “[Aaron], hope you have a happy [27th]! Love ya!”
- “Happy Birthday to a strong and brilliant daughter who will turn the world around!”
- “Gil, Warmest wishes for a happy birthday.”
- “Hope today’s filled with all your favorite guilty pleasures!”
- “Devonte, hope you make your [25th] a birthday to remember!”
- “Go forth from this birthday and prosper in your [ukulele playing]!”
- “[Carolina], you are living your best life! And this year it really shows.”
- “Another year older, and you just keep getting stronger, wiser, funnier and more amazing!”
- “[Aliyah], Happy Birthday to one of my favorite people in the history of ever.”
- “[Elana], thanks for being here, for being you.”
- “Warmest wishes and love on your birthday and always!”
- “I see you out here looking like time is standing still! Happy Birthday.”
- “Be safe, have fun, take pictures, and enjoy every minute of this exciting time in your life!”
- “[Daria], so grateful God put you on this earth and in my life.”
- “Wishing you a happy birthday and a year that’s blessed.”
- “Keep vibin’ and thrivin’, Queen! Here’s to another blessed birthday.”
- “#Slaying! On your birthday and every other day, too. Happy Birthday, Beauty.”
- ¡Feliz Cumpleaños! Que seas muy feliz, no solo hoy, sino todos los días de tu vida.
Writing tip: One Hallmark writer said she chooses her cards very carefully for each birthday person so that she doesn ’ t have to add much in the way of a personal message. In other words, it ’ south fine to let the print message and design do most of the talking for you. even professional writers do it !
The milestone birthday person might not wake up feeling like this birthday is peculiarly extra or different from any other. so, it ’ s your job to let him or her know what a adult share it is to have a decent, round-number birthday !
- “ never looked so great!”
- “Happy Birthday, [Marcus]! Now that you’ve arrived here,  will never be the same again!”
- “Turning  is big! Especially when it’s someone like you, who has made the most of each year and made such a positive difference for the people in your life.”
- “[Tía], you are  years of fun, laughter and love. Te quiero mucho!”
- “ is the perfect age. You’re old enough to afford the good stuff and still young enough to enjoy it!”
- “Happy [90th] Birthday, [Nana Betty]! Today, we’re celebrating the amazing [woman] you are, honoring the life you’ve lived and, just like always, loving you so much!”
- “Happy Birthday, Bae! Look who’s making  look fly!”
- Hoy es una ocasión muy especial. Hoy cumples  años, y celebramos el regalo que es tu vida. ¡Muchas felicidades!
Writing tip: Ages 16, 18, 21, 30, 40, 50, 60, 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95 and 100 are traditionally considered milestones. Cards specific to these birthdays will feature the senesce number prominently in their design, but you can make any calling card a milestone card ( or any birthday a milestone birthday ) by writing that bright new senesce number somewhere in your personal message .
besides keep in mind that milestone birthdays vary by culture. thirteen is considered a milestone birthday for jewish boys who become a barroom mitzvah. jewish girls are celebrated when they become a squash racket mitzvah at 12 or 13. Quinceañeras, when young girls turn 15 and begin to enter womanhood, are milestone birthdays in Latinx culture. And in some easterly asian cultures, like in China and Korea, the first base 100 days of a child ’ second life is causal agent for huge celebration, as is the first birthday .
Funny Birthday Wishes
Sharing a laugh in a funny story birthday calling card is a great means to personalize a card for person you know well. Wisecracks about getting older, jokes about over-indulging, gags about gifts ( or the lack thence ) —all are commodity possibilities for fishy messages .
- “Happy birthday to my favorite former [punk rocker]!” (Or: hippie, goth, Valley Girl, grunge rocker)
- “From one of your favorite bad influences” (Added after the card’s printed “Happy Birthday”)
- “Hope it’s happier than me at a [shoe sale]!” (or: spa, bar, coffee shop, beach.)
- “You get to be the center of attention today! Tomorrow it’s back to me.”
- “Have a [martini] for me! Or two!” (Or: substitute recipient’s favorite drink.)”
- “I think this is the year you get a pony! JK. That’s never.”
- “Happy birthday to you and your cat! (I know how the cat hates to be left out.)”
- “How does it feel to be living proof that Black don’t crack?”
- “To quote Shakespeare: ‘Party thine ass off!’”
- “Dibs on the presents you don’t like!”
- “You totally don’t look like crap at all!”
- “I hope all your wishes come true, even the weird ones.”
- “Sorry there’s no money in here.”
- “Please stop aging so gracefully. It’s getting kind of boring and predictable.”
- “Have a great day, you old geezer! (Takes one to know one, right?)”
- “We all know you’re just showing up to show out on your birthday! And we all cosign.”
- “Father Time texted. He just CANNOT with you.”
- ¡Feliz Cumpleaños a alguien increíble, divertido, inteligente… Bueno, creo que ya fueron muchos piropos, ¿no crees? ¡Felicidades!
Writing Tip: Try to sound like you do when you ’ re talking. Like, if you say “ like ” all the prison term, write “ like ” a distribute. It ’ mho OK and it ’ s, like, more personal and the person can kind of listen you talking and from there, you can refer to something funny that happened and they ’ ll joke because, like, it wholly reminds them of when the curious thing happened !
deep in truth is better than never ! If life, memory relapse or stranger abduction has interfered with the seasonably pitch of your card, send it anyhow. You can include a earnest or humorous apology…or equitable frame it as your way of extending the birthday fun !
- “So sorry these birthday wishes are late reaching you. I hope it was happy!”
- “Happy Birthday…a little late!”
- “You’re receiving this NOW and not on your ACTUAL birthday, because I am extremely thoughtful and wanted to be sure the celebration of YOU was not limited to just one day. That is so nice of me, right? Well, you are worth it.”
- “At least my Happy Birthday text was on time. That counts for something, right? ☺Happy Belated Birthday!”
- “I don’t know where my mind was, but I forgot your birthday…until now. At least this way I’ll stand out from the crowd when I tell you you’re amazing and awesome. Have a great year!”
- “This birthday wish is not late. It’s just well-aged/well-seasoned.”
- “We all have to wait for some of the best things in life—like a birthday card from a sister who picked the perfect one for you and then left it sitting on the counter next to the stamps.”
- Un poco tarde, pero espero que te la hayas pasado muy bien en tu cumpleaños. Te deseo lo mejor.
Writing tip: Cards made specifically for belated birthdays are good for when you remember the birthday after the fact. however, if you already have the circuit board but just didn ’ t get it delivered on fourth dimension, joint with what you ’ ve got. You can mention its lateness in your personal message—or not. It ’ s actually your call .
For a Friend
sometimes you equitable want to tell person, “ Thanks for being a good friend. ” A birthday menu is a great way to do barely that. ( And we ’ ve got even more birthday wishes for even more friends here. )
- “Happy Birthday to a friend I couldn’t live without!”
- “In case I don’t tell you often enough, I really appreciate your friendship. And I’m so grateful for all you bring to my life!”
- “If life were a sitcom, you’d be the witty, glamorous friend and I’d be the dorky sidekick. And I don’t mind that at all. I hope you have a GREAT birthday.”
- “Gettin’ old ain’t for babies. They can’t handle this much fun!”
- “Girl, age can’t handle your hotness! Happy Birthday, Friend.”
- “It just occurred to me that we really are becoming OLD friends. So glad we are.”
- “Love you, my sweet friend. Happy Birthday.”
- “In my soul, I call you sister. Happy Birthday to a phenomenal woman.”
- “Hope every little piece of this day is good, Man.”
- ¡Feliz Cumpleaños, Amiga! ¡Que vengan muchos más! ¡Te quiero mucho!
even more ideas for birthday wishes for friends .
Writing tip: If you ’ ve chosen a blank or just-for-fun card merely because you know your supporter would like it, you can easily make it a birthday card by mentioning birthday somewhere in your personal message. Friendship is flexible like that !
What you write to your mother on her birthday will depend on the kind of relationship the two of you contribution. In general, love, appreciation, and cheerful wishes are a adept bet. If she ’ randomness got a healthy sense of humor, feel barren to make her joke. You can always keep it light one year, and go more dear the following .
- “Happy Birthday, with heartfelt thanks and lots of love, to my wise, wonderful, one-and-only Mom.”
- “You’re the best, Mom. Love you.”
- “Wishing a beautiful day for my beautiful mama.”
- “The more time goes by, the more grateful I am to have you for my mother.”
- “Hope your birthday brings some time to relax and remember how much you’re loved by family, friends and community.”
- “I don’t say it enough, but it’s always true: I love you, and I feel so lucky to call you my mom.”
- “For all the days you’ve made happy for our family…all the ways you make us smile…happy birthday with lots of love.”
- “Mama, on your birthday, celebrating your strength, your passion for life and the loving way you bring change into the world.”
- “Wish I could be there to celebrate with you, Mom. Have fun! Miss you!”
- “Happy Birthday from your favorite! (I probably don’t even need to sign my name after that, do I?)”
- “Mami, Happy Birthday to you, the angel of all our hearts.”
- “With love from the reason for most of your gray hairs.”
- “Happy Birthday, Mom. I hope everything about today reminds you how loved and cherished you are.”
- Mamá, que tengas un día tan hermoso como tú, y que este nuevo año esté lleno de mucho amor, alegría y bendiciones. ¡Feliz Cumpleaños!
Writing Tip: Sharing a birthday memory can be a fun idea for ma, besides : “ I still remember you all dressed up to go out for your fortieth birthday. I thought I had the prettiest ma in the world. I even do. ”
Love, thanks, and warm wishes make effective birthday messages for dad, besides. Again, let your relationship be your steer, and write from the kernel.
- “To my hero…my strong and loving daddy.”
- “Birthday and every day, it means so much to have a great Dad like you.”
- “I really got lucky when I got you for my Dad.”
- “You’ve always been a great father, and you’ve become a real friend, too. I love that…and I love you, Baba.”
- “For lessons you’ve taught…For days you’ve saved…For everything…Thanks, Dad.”
- “I’ve always been proud of the smart, honest, good man you are—and so very proud to be your son.”
- “Daddy, today the cookout is in your honor. And, yes. You can still season the meat.”
- “You’re more than a dad. You’re the greatest man I know.”
- “Happy Birthday, Dad! Hope the sun is shining, and the fish are biting!”
- “I hope you get a hole-in-one today. If not, just lie and tell me you did anyway. I’ll never know the difference.”
- “Papi, you are GOOOOOOOOAAAAALLLLS! Celebrating you and your love of life today.”
- “For the man who taught me everything I know. From the kid who paid to attention to roughly half of all you tried to teach.”
- “Dad, I hope you find a fun way to waste some time on your birthday. You have my permission!”
- “Daddy, celebrating you as my rock and as a loving pillar of our community.”
- “You deserve a margarita with the good tequila today! And every day. Happy birthday to a top-shelf kind of Dad!”
- “Dad, thinking of you today and hoping you’re making your birthday a good day.”
- Papá, en tu cumpleaños quiero recordarte lo mucho que te quiero y te admiro. ¡Disfruta mucho tu día!
Writing Tip: even a dad who never gets bathetic in person can even appreciate a affectionate and loving written message. Cards are a perfect vehicle for saying the dear things that can be hard to say face-to-face .
For a Child
If you don ’ metric ton like to write a set on a birthday circuit board, then send more cards to kids, because even those who have learned to read are often excessively stimulate to sit through a very long message. Keep your wish light, sweetly and fun, and your card will be a hit with the birthday child .
- “ years awesome! That’s you!”
- “All hail the birthday princess! Have a royally sweet [5th], [Kyla]!”
- “Yay! You’re  today! Love you, big -year-old!”
- “Happy Birthday to our new favorite -year-old!”
- “[Kai], you’re getting to be such a big [girl]! Happy [3rd] Birthday, Sweetheart. We love you!”
- “[Elliott]! How can you be  already? Why, just yesterday, you were . Oh, well. Have a happy one, birthday boy!”
- “[Tyler], I’ve got a feeling you’re going to make a pretty amazing -year-old. Happy Birthday!”
- “Hope this whole exciting year of being  kicks off with a very fun, very happy birthday!”
- ¡Feliz Día! Que tengas un cumpleaños muy divertido.
Writing tip: Some adults might not want to be reminded of their newly age, but kids will love seeing that you know precisely how old they are now ! If it ’ randomness not already printed on the tease, be certain to write the birthday kid ’ mho senesce somewhere in your message .
For a Spouse or Significant Other
If you ’ re married to or dating the birthday boy or daughter, this is a great opportunity to strengthen your kinship. Depending on your circumstances, it might besides be a capital gamble for a little coquettish playfulness .
- “I’m so grateful you came into the world because you make my world better every day. Happy Birthday, Baby.”
- “Hope your birthday cake is the second sweetest thing I get to taste today. Those lips tho!”
- “Thanks for you being you and being mine.”
- “It’s your day, and I can’t wait to celebrate it with you.”
- “Baby, I’m celebrating the special sweetness and deep goodness of you today. Happy Birthday.”
- “I hope your birthday is the happiest.”
- “Happy Birthday, Beautiful.”
- “Wish you were here for me to spoil today.”
- “Beautiful. Sweet. Tasty. And I ain’t talking about the cake. Happy Birthday, Bae.”
- ¡Feliz vuelta al sol, mi vida! Haces que el mundo sea mejor, y por eso hoy te celebro.
Writing tip: Using your private favored identify for the recipient role can instantaneously make a childlike message more quick and personal. No matter what you say, use words that sound like you .
For a Family Member
Chances are, your family members will be getting a fortune of birthday cards from you through the years, so you can mix it up and write a longer personal message some years and a shorter message others. Love, compliments and warm wishes all work nicely for family. so cause “ Proud of you ” and “ I ’ megabyte beaming we ’ ra family ” messages .
- “Every year, I’m even more grateful to have a [brother] like you.”
- “Maya, you are bursting with life. Celebrating today what a joy you are to be around.”
- “We still remember the first time we laid eyes on you—on this day  years ago. You were so beautiful right from the start, and with every year, you grow even more beautiful. Hope you know how much we love you and how grateful we are to call you our [daughter].”
- “Nothing feels safer than coming home to you, love, tradition and heritage, Mama.”
- “So proud of the person you are! So happy we’re family.”
- “I am just so in awe of you…and so proud to call you my [sister].”
- “Well, [Grandpa], another year has gone by, and I still haven’t come across anyone wiser, kinder, more generous or better at [checkers] than you. You’re the best!”
- “[Amil], you do life big and love bigger. Love having you as a brother and celebrating your goodness.”
- Felicidades, [Hermano]. Eres muy importante para mí, y por eso en tu cumpleaños deseo que recibas mucho amor y felicidad.
Writing tip: If your wag doesn ’ deoxythymidine monophosphate specifically mention your family kinship with the recipient role, include it in your personal message. You can either address the recipient by the title you use for them ( Nana, Pop-Pop, Aunt Suzie, etc. ), or mention the relationship ( sister, cousin, etc. ) somewhere in your message .
sometimes we want to send a birthday message but the timing or the relationship is complicated. Those are the times you can let the wag do the talking—or you can write a bare, sincere message that says merely adequate .
- “I hope your day is full of all the things that make you happy.”
- “On your birthday, know I’m thinking about you and wishing you good things.”
- “Birthdays are a chance to let people know how much they matter to you. You matter to me, and I want you to have a good day.”
- “Wishing you a birthday that is everything you need.”
- “Today is your day. We’ll have time to figure stuff out later—for now, I just want you to have the day you deserve.”
- “Hoping you feel pampered and celebrated on your special day.”
- “Even when things are complicated between us, I still care about you and wish you all the best today.”
- “We’ll always be family/friends, and I’ll always care about you.”
- “We’ve been through some things, but we’ve still got something to celebrate: you and what a good person you are.”
- “I hope someday things are better between us and we get back to being the sisters we each deserve. Today, I just want to wish you a happy birthday and tell you I love you.”
- “Just two words: ‘Happy Birthday.’ Well, three more: ‘I love you.’”
- “Our history together means I’ll always think of you on your birthday. I hope this is a good one.”
- Espero que tu día esté lleno de todas las cosas que te hacen feliz.
Helpful tip: When you need a dim-witted birthday card for a complicate relationship, research by “ Tone. ” Try looking under “ General Wish, ” “ Short and Simple ” or “ Simply Stated. ”
Birthdays are felicitous occasions that sometimes fall during tough times due to illness, job loss, mourning or other challenge circumstances. A wag is a great direction to let the birthday person know you ’ re still thinking of ( and celebrating ) them even in the midst of a difficult year .
- “I know you’ve had some real challenges this year, and it has been great to see how well you have met them.”
- “What a year. You made it! Let’s celebrate THAT!”
- “Life owes you some really good times. Hope they start right now.”
- “You’ve had more than your share of challenges this year—hope this will feel like a brand-new year of better days.”
- “I hope this next year is gentle and sweet to you and gives you lots of reasons to smile and lots of time to rest.”
- “No matter what we’ve all been through, there’s one good thing we can still celebrate with absolute happiness: You.”
- “Celebrating how we came through together and how you rose to and past each occasion to get your glory. Happy Birthday. So proud of you.”
- “You came through this year striving, strong and resilient—especially for a time like now. And we couldn’t be more proud. Happy Birthday.”
- Que este nuevo año no tengas que superar retos, sino que sea uno lleno de alegres momentos. Te lo mereces. Felicidades.
Writing tip: Humor can be a great day-brightener even in the midst of a challenge time. If you know the birthday person appreciates a good laugh, feel free to choose a funny tease and/or add a humorous personal message .
Let your relationship scout you when signing a birthday card for a colleague. If it ’ s person you ’ re close to, you can be as casual in your message as you would with nonwork friends. If it ’ s your supervisory program or person with whom you have a relationship that ’ s more strictly about oeuvre, then keep your message more conventional .
- “Happy Birthday and all the best to you in the year to come!”
- “It’s a pleasure to work with you…and to wish you a happy birthday!”
- “[Cecily], all work and no play makes us dull girls. So don’t work too hard on your birthday. Hope it’s happy!”
- “Unfortunately, I can’t take credit for baking you the cake in the break room. Fortunately, I can totally have a slice in your honor. Yum…and Happy Birthday!”
- “You make work a lot less like work. Thanks for all you do!”
- “Happy Birthday to the funniest member of my work fam!”
- “You really GLOWED UP in that cubicle! Get it, Girl! Happy Birthday.”
- Es un placer trabajar contigo. Te deseo el más feliz de los cumpleaños.
Writing tip: Do resist any recommend to talk shop class when signing a birthday circuit board for a colleague. Your card is a place for official birthday business lone .
Signing a Group Card
here are some ideas for when you ’ re the umpteenth person to sign the birthday circuit board, and all the obvious messages ( and most of the space ) have already been taken .
- “Celebrating you!”
- “Happy day!”
- “I salute you.”
- “Birthday cheers!”
- “Birthday hugs!”
- “Let the b-day fun begin!”
- “Let us eat cake!”
- “Have a sweet one!”
- “Huzzah to you on your birthday!”
- “Be so happy.”
- “Happy Birthday & Happy Year!”
- “Happy wishes to you!”
- “YES to party hats!”
- “…and many more.”
- “Another year more wonderful!”
- “You’re awesome!”
- “You’re the best!”
- “You look great!”
- “U look 2 good 2 B this old!”
- “Can’t believe you’re a year older!”
- “Here’s to you!”
- “Here’s to a great birthday!”
- “Make a wish!”
- “Wish for something good!”
- “Whatever you wish, I second that!”
- “Party on!”
- “Stay cool.”
- “Stay sweet!”
- “Honored to wish you a happy birthday!”
- “¡Salud! ¡Dinero! ¡Amor!” (Spanish for “health, money, love”)
- “Love you!”
- “Party like it’s your birthday! Because…you know why!”
- “Cosigning your happy!”
- ¡Pásatelo súper bien!
A warm close before your signature is like the crouch on top of the birthday endow. Choose one of ours, or come up with one of your own.
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- All my love,
- Best wishes!
- Best wishes on your birthday and always,
- All life’s best to you,
- Happy Birthday!
- Wishing you happiness,
- Warmest wishes,
- God bless,
- Hugs and kisses,
- Con Mucho Cariño
Need more birthday ideas?
Check out these 25+ ideas for creative, personal birthday care packages .
Shop Birthday Cards